Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Results

So I went to Dr. K yesterday with my mom and Ben. It was emotional for all. Basically, I have Ductal Invasive Carcinoma, which is basically cancer that started in the duct and then spilled out (pray only a little.) The doctor says she thinks it is only Stage 1 or 2 and we are praying now that it won't be in any of my lymph nodes (that would be the best.) We also asked the doctor to review the slides again just to make sure that there wasn't any possibility that since I am a lactating mom my cells may be slightly different (we assume they don't see a lot of cases like mine.) She said it has happened once before and she would recheck the slides again--I am praying that I am number 2.

My first step is to have an MRI to make sure that there isn't any other cancer spots. Apparently, I have dense breasts so the mammogram wasn't as effective as we had hoped. I just pray there are no more spots that appear to be cancer. I will have to undergo surgery in about two weeks to remove the lump, followed by chemotherapy and then radiation.

I went immediately to get my x-rays done and then Ben and I dropped my mom off and we headed to lunch together (our first date without the kids in a long time.) I am so blessed that I have such a wonderful supportive husband. I know that whatever Ben and I decide will be right for our family and with him I will be able to fight this.

On the way home from the doctor, I was in the car and "I'm Still Here" by 3 Doors Down came on. I started blaring it and singing it as loudly as I could (I am sure all the cars around me were wondering what was going on.) Thanks God for providing me a little inspiration right when I needed it!

I feel confident in my doctor, but I will be seeking one more opinion just to make sure everything makes sense especially given my age so this week will be full of lots of doctors appointments.

After I got home, Ava and Kalyn ran right up to me and gave me the biggest hugs and then life went on as usual. I fed them, played with them, snuggled them up, and put them to bed. Ben had stopped on his way home and picked me up some very comfy pajamas, which were perfect! I put them right on and went to bed-It was an exhausting day.

A nice surprise...My sister-in law, Megan, gave me a present at the birthday party on Sunday and I never had time to open it because I was so busy. This morning I got up around 6:30 and retrieved the present. She gave me a beautiful Snowflake crystal candle holder (snowflakes were part of my wedding theme 5 years ago.) Also inside was a book called Nordie's Noon about four women "too young" for breast cancer and an inspirational bookmark,

"Faith Sees the Invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible."

As I mentioned in my first blog, Faith is a big part of what will keep me going through this. I know that God will be with me and through Him all things are possible.

Another part that I read was from the women's surgeon, "Breast cancer is not meant to change your life. It will merely amplify the life you already have." I believe this very strongly. I still plan to continue to live my life the same way I do now and I still believe there isn't anything I can't do.

No comments: