Tuesday, August 18, 2009
I crossed the finish line--THANK YOU
I just wanted to thank you for your support this past year and to let you know that I made it through the 3-day walk--all 60 miles! Whether you sent me cards/emails during the past year, made me dinner, kept me company at chemotherapy, held my hand after surgery, called to make sure radiation wasn't tiring me out, sent me flowers, said a prayer, decided to join Team TLC, attended one of our fundraising events, or made a donation towards my fight so no one will have to go through a year like I did--you were the reason I was able to walk this year! From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. I can't tell you what it was like to cross the finish line with my team on Sunday. It was the experience of a lifetime and it was so nice to have friends and family there to support me! I was honored that I was nominated to carry the flag Honoring the Future during opening and closing ceremonies and at the end of the closing ceremonies, Ava came up on stage with me and reminded me once again why I need to fight so hard to find a cure for this disease. She gave me the biggest hug and I could tell she was very proud of her mommy! A little recap from the weekend: At 5:15 a.m. on Friday, we arrived at the Henry Ford Museum to meet up with the team for the Opening Ceremony. It was dark and everyone showed up with so much excitement and a lot of caffeine! I was asked to carry the flag Honoring the future and with tears streaming down my face I walked along the path and was greeted by all 1800 walkers. It was a surreal moment. In the middle, they have 8 survivors that hold hands in a circle representing all survivors and the center represents those that we have lost. It was emotional to realize that not everyone survives breast cancer--I hope that we can change this. We started walking through Dearborn and Dearborn Heights on the first day and it was so nice to see the community come together and cheer us on--they were thanking us, we were thanking them and it made the 20 miles go by very quickly. Plus, at the last cheering station, when I needed it most, Ben and my girls were there to cheer me on with posters I had made with them. They were so cute in their matching pink outfits! When we got back to camp, the Romulus football team was there to greet us and help us set up our tent. It amazed me that these young high school boys were so willing to lend a hand with smiles on their faces the whole time--definitely not the same boys that I want to high school with :) After, it was a sea of 800+ pink tents and it was beautiful. My friend Kiley and I stayed in the same 6.5 X 6.5 tent and laughed about how we slept better in the tent than we do at home because it was actually quieter. On Saturday, we walked through beautiful Livonia neighborhoods and downtown Plymouth. The people of Plymouth were exceptional and it was like walking into a party! They dyed the water in the fountain pink in the center of the park and people lined the streets cheering us on. Ben and the girls met us at the park and it was nice to know that I could see they missed me--especially Ben. I think he appreciated me a lot more after he realized how hard it is to get the girls together on your own (Ava was missing her shoes, he forgot sunscreen, snacks, wipes...) Glad to see that Mommy is still needed! After the short visit, we continued on our route. At one point, Kiley and I got a second wind and started dancing and skipping down side streets--most have been all those popsicles. By the time we made it back to camp, we were exhausted and my knee wasn't very happy. Then they asked all of us to line the pathway so the last walker could come in and we could all greet them. They don't celebrate the first walker, they celebrate the last because and they represent "One More Day." It was a very touching moment because that is what we are all fighting for "One More Day." On Sunday, we were excited because we got to walk through Ann Arbor, and we took pictures by the "Big House," sang the fight song and we even walked off the path a little bit to take pictures in front of our sorrority house, Alpha Phi. It was fun to walk through all the areas I was so familiar with. I kept thinking when I was there 10 years ago, I would have never thought I would be walking through as a breast cancer survivor. I was thankful that many of my best friends from college were on the journey with me. It was a beautiful walk even though the temperature was 90+ and very hot. I had to have my knee wrapped at one point because it started to give on me and was getting very painful and I was upset that after a year of chemo, surgery and radiation--now was the time my body was thinking of failing. Fortunately, my mind and spirit won out and after my knee was wrapped I persevered--I told my friends that I would have crawled to the finish line if I had to! The last mile was a time of reflection, it was bittersweet-I was happy to be done walking the 60 miles, but I was sad the experience was ending because it really was "the happiest place on earth." Plus, it was a nice little break from the hustle and bustle of being a working mommy--not much time for yourself. I was so happy that I had my friends with me to be part of this journey--from the time I was diagnosed until the finish line. They are all so special to me and I am so glad that we were able to share this experience together. After we locked arms and crossed, Ben and the girls were there to greet me again. I gave them all lots of hugs and kisses. It was so nice to see all the people greeting the 1800 walkers--I couldn't believe how many people there were. It really was spectacular to see. After, I headed behind the stage so I could carry the flag honoring the Future. I was sad that I couldn't be with my teammates as they marched in, but I couldn't have been prouder of what they accomplished this weekend :) Backstage, I met with many survivors and we retold the stories of the weekend. I was particularly touched by one story of a husband that was walking for his 5 children and was carrying the Children honor flag. His wife Luby walked the 3-day event last year and was the pillar of strength and then 3 months later she lost her battle with breast cancer. This year her husband Don Luby walked in remembrance of her with her team "Luby's Boobies." I hope to see them again next year. I was so happy when I was up on stage and my Aunt Jean and cousin Erica came over to see me and then shortly after my Dad and Ava came around--it was the highlight for me. Ava looked at me from below and was so excited so I was glad I was able to bring her up on stage and hold her--I told her "I'm doing this for you and Kalyn. You are my future." After I walked off the stage, it seemed in the blink of an eye, the event was over and the crowds of friends and loved one's quickly dissipated. I was sad that I couldn't find many of my family members that had come to support me that day, but thank you so much for being there for me--it honestly meant the world to me and I will never forget your support! We will be having a TEAM TLC Celebration event at Blackfinn in Royal Oak this Friday, August 21 from 6-10PM. We are celebrating that Team TLC walked 720 miles (60 miles each), got 28 blisters, and raised $32,000+ for a cure. A $10 donation to the 3-day at the door will get you all-you-can-eat appetizers, $3 any drink you can think of, and a fun night out at the hottest bar in town. We get a private area overlooking the rest of the bar with our own bartender so even if you arrive closer to 10 pm just tell them you are there for the TEAM TLC Celebration and you can get in our private area. Please feel free to pass along to anyone and everyone. We hope to see you there. If you missed the first one (over 120 people), you won't want to miss this one! Thanks again for your support. I can tell you I am officially a 4-month survivor and I am looking forward to walking again next year so that we can continue the fight for a cure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment