Thursday, January 22, 2009

With God All Things Are Possible

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." —Matthew 19:26

As I was sitting in the waiting room yesterday to start my 4th round of chemo, I was a little more anxious than usual. It wasn't because of the impending 3 hours of chemo, but because I would be receiving the results of the MRI I had on Monday. I knew that my fate would be determined based on the findings of this MRI and I had been praying ever since that it would show no cancer (although I knew after only 3 treatments this would be a lot to ask.) Finally when a room opened up to see the doctor, I pretty much rushed to the room. As usual, it was a really busy day for the doctor so the Physician Assistant came in first. I told her I found out I was BRCA negative and then I asked if she could look at my MRI results (I couldn't wait any longer.) She looked at them and said "Negative." I immediately said, "What does that mean?" She said there are no signs of cancer in either breast, no sign of cancer at the spot where cancer was previously dedected and you went from a Category 6 (malignancy dedected) to a Category 1 (Nothing.) She said I couldn't have had a better MRI. I was elated and when she left, I immediately texted Ben and my dad to tell them the good news. When the doctor came in he said I hear you are BRCA negative that's great news and then I asked him if he heard about my MRI results and he said no. The Nurse Practitioner said she wanted me to tell him. So I told him that it said Negative and he looked at it and said you know this isn't ordinary (I think he was a little in shock.) Basically, it is rare for someone to respond so well after only 3 treatments without having surgery first. Immediately, I thought of the scripture reading above "With God All Things Are Possible." I told the doctor that everything I/we have prayed for since my diagnosis, has been answered. Actually, I told everyone around me because I really feel I am a testament to the Power of God's Healing.

After I found out about the results, it made going through chemo much easier. It works! Fortunately, I was able to have a private room this time so I was able to visit with my friends and my mom and cousin who came to visit. The nurses joke and say I have a posse, but it makes chemo go by so much faster when my friends are around.

I will still continue with my final two chemo treatments and have the lumpectomy and radiation. The lumpectomy should be really minor since they basically just go in and double check to make sure that there are no cancer cells hiding. I just look at it as additional precaution to make sure there is no cancer and that it never comes back.

So I guess I could have also titled this Thank You Part II. Thank you God, my friends and family. "With God All Things Are Possible."

3 comments:

Kiley said...

I was so happy to hear this news I couldn't stop crying!!!! Happy tears are the best tears! Your positive attitude and devotion to your faith have been such an inspiration. I am now a very strong believer in the passage, "With God all things are possible."

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear your news! You have been (and still continue to be) a gift to so many people. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Thank you, Teresa for all you are!

Nancy

Jeff Lillibridge said...

Teresa...wow. I had not heard...I am just now catching up with everything. First off, you are an amazing person and you are so strong. You have the strength to beat this. The encouraging news is so great. Kristie and I will be following your blog now. You have our thoughts and prayers.